Monday 27 June 2011

More sledges and things

I always seem to press/click the PUBLISH button before I have finished. Why might you ask did my last post mention sledges?
Well I (along with two of my colleagues) have spent the day moving sledges from two floors up to one floor down - and not a snowflake in sight. In fact it has been the hottest day of the year so far. And this is where I have to point out the difference between libraries and museums. Books. Well they are rather easy to move around, catalogue and generally keep tabs on - child's play. Museum objects come in every shape and size - from the minute to the 'how do we move that?' or more like 'how on earth do I get that from here to there?' to the 'oh no, it won't fit! Then there's the cataloguing. usually no author, sometimes no title and no Dewey decimal or bliss system. Librarians have it easy. And that's without the physical side of the work - how often does a book weigh 250 kg? (and yes I know about that huge atlas the BL). Well I suppose it saves on subscriptions to the gym.
Oh well things are not always bad - there was the fun of recording the barrel organ ..... you'll have to wait for the next time I have time to blog.

1 comment:

  1. It was a very hot day to move the sledge, can you requested iced drinks to be provided on the tea trolley

    ReplyDelete